1. This is an immediate message and requires dissemination to all recruiting
2. This message is valid for 2 years from date of publication unless sooner
rescinded or superseded.
4. Effective 25 March 2013, PS enlistments in all Skill Levels, to include
Soldiers from Sister Services applying for the Blue to Green (B2G) Program, are
restricted by critical MOS exception according to Human Resource Command (HRC)
Accessions Business Rules. This policy does not affect those PS already in
Delayed Status (DS). Reductions in pay grade will NOT be favorably considered,
5. This policy affects all Glossary Non Prior Service Soldiers in pay grades E-1
thru E-4. Applicants with 179 days or less, to include ZERO days on Active Duty
(AD) are considered Glossary Non Prior Service. Glossary Non Prior Service
applicants who never shipped to training and have ZERO days of Active Federal
Service (AFS) may apply for an exception to process outside the HRC business
rules thru Enlistment Eligibility and Processing Division. Guidance Counselors
(GC) MUST call the Recruiting Operations Center (ROC) for all Glossary Non Prior
Service and Prior Service reservations. This applies regardless if applicant has
received a waiver for enlistment.
For example: Disenrolled from ROTC, discharged from a Reserve Component (RC)
prior to attending training, did not complete MOS training. (Refer to UM 12-008,
disenrolled Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) for processing of ROTC Cadets
that have elected to be discharged and desire to enter AD).
NOTE: Does not apply to disenrolled ROTC Cadets that have been ordered to AD.
6. This policy DOES NOT affect Soldiers who are removed from the Temporary
Disability Retirement List (TDRL). All Soldiers removed from TDRL will have a
formal electronic grade determination completed IAW AR 601-210, Chapter 5-51f.
7. The HRC Business Rules will be updated periodically by HRC.
a. Applicants in grade E-5 and above must submit a formal electronic
request for grade determination to CG, USAREC IAW with AR 601-210,
b. If applicant is MOS qualified in an MOS listed for his/her pay grade in
paragraph 9a or 9c; approval will be granted in his/her grade in current
c. GCs must ensure those applicants who indicate family member(s) that may
fall under the Exceptional Family Membership Program (EFMP) are
identified to the ROC prior to a reservation being pulled. Refer to the
message on EFMP.
d. Applicants in pay grade E-4 and above who hold MOS 09L, 18B, 18C, 18D,
18E, 18F, 42R, 42S, 46Q and 46R can request an exception to the Business
Rules. Send exception request thru GCR as a grade determination.
Exceptions are not always favorably considered.
NOTE: On MOS 09L; 09L E5s and above that speak a language(s) outside of Farsi,
Dari, Urdu, or Pashtu could possibly reenter as an 09L as there is a shortage of
skill level 2 and 3 Soldiers. Additionally, 09Ls in any grade should meet the
qualifications for 35P under ACASP. If reclassification into MOS 35P is desired
a DLPT score of 2/2 is required and must accompany the grade determination
workflow. If approved, applicants will have to attend 35P AIT at Goodfellow AFB.
8. If an applicant does not hold the grade and MOS that has an open vacancy
listed in paragraph 9a or 9c below, and there are no retraining vacancies in
current grade listed in paragraph 9b below, request for grade determination for
the purpose of enlistment in the RA will not be favorably considered due to lack
of vacancies in MOS and grade.
9. Accession date for all PS/DOS who enlist for primary option 18 (US Army First
Assignment Only) will be determined by the ROC. Once the objectives/requirements
have been met by MOS and grade, that MOS and grade will be closed. The following
vacancies are available provided the applicant is otherwise qualified.
a. Vacancies by grade and MOS (changes based on the needs of the Army):
(1) Grades E-1 thru E-4 – 35P (language dependent).
(2) Grade E-5 – 35F, 35L, 35P (language dependent) and 46R.
(3) Grade E-6 – 35P (language dependent).
(4) Grade E-7 – 35P (language dependent).
(5) Grade E-8 and above – no vacancies.
b. If no vacancy exists, the following MOS will be used for retraining
(changes monthly based on the needs of the Army):
(1) Grades E-1 thru E-4 – 35P ACASP (language dependent).
(2) Grades E-5 – 35P ACASP (language dependent).
(3) Grades E-6 – 35P ACASP (language dependent).
(4) Grades E-7 and above – no vacancies.
c. The following vacancies by grade and MOS are available if already
(1) Grades E-1 thru E-4 – 12N, 13B, 13F, 15D, 15G, 15N, 15W, 19D, 25B,
25C, 25M, 25N, 25R, 35F, 35G, 42A, 68W, 88M, 91B, 91J, 91L, 92G or
(2) Grade E-5 – 12W, 15W, 25M, 25N, 25P, 25R, 35L, 35M, 35N, 56M, 74D,
(3) Grades E-6 – 35P and 46R.
10. All applicants who require a grade determination, Prior Service Accession
Branch (USAREC) will determine the enlistment grade as follows:
a. Applicant must enlist in the Delayed Status (DS) within 14 days of final
grade determination. He/she must understand that the vacancies
constantly change; if the grade determination expires prior to enlisting
into the DS, they could be subject to disapproval.
b. If an applicant does not hold the grade and MOS that has an open vacancy
listed in paragraph 9a or 9c above and there are no retraining vacancies
in current grade listed in paragraph 9b above, he/she will not be granted
accession at this time.
11. If a renegotiation is approved the DS Soldier may enlist under current HRC
business rules or the HRC business rules in affect at time of entry in the DS.
12. All PS/DOS applicants that hold an Additional Skill Identifier (ASI) may
submit for an exception to policy without regards to the listed MOS vacancies
in paragraph 9a above. Not all exceptions are favorably considered.
13. All PS applicants that hold MOS 42R who currently serve in the USAR/ARNG in
the grades E-4 thru E-6 may compete for active duty vacancies on the USAREC Order
of Merit List (OML). Maximum AFS for each grade are as follows: 12 years for
SSG, 8 years for SGT, 4 years for SPC. Send exception request thru GCR as a
grade determination. Exceptions are not always favorably considered.
14. All PS/DOS applicants who are proficient in a language, as evidenced by DLPT
results of 2/2 or higher, will also be considered as exceptions to policy and
maybe qualified for 35P ACASP. Language ability must not have been obtained by
DLI attendance. Languages that will be considered are Arabic (any dialect),
Farsi, Dari, Pashtu, Chinese, French, Russian, Tagalog, Hebrew, Indonesian,
Serbo-Croatian, Urdu and Korean. Applicants that have approved exceptions must
successfully complete 35P AIT. Basic training may also be required IAW AR
a. Army Regulation 601-210, Active and Reserve Component Enlistment Program,
dated 8 Feb 2011 with Rapid Action Revision (RAR) dated 12 March 2013.
b. Department of the Army Memorandum, Prior Service Accessions Business
Rules for Grade Determinations, dated 22 Jan 2013.
c. MILPER Message 12-156, FY13 Enlisted Call to Active Duty Regular Army
Program, dated 21 May 2012. (Rescinded)
d. USAREC message 12-015, Operation Blue to Green Enlistment Program, dated
20 October 2011.
e. USAREC message 13-063, Prior Service (PS) enlistments into the Regular Army,
dated 4 February 2013. (Rescinded)[/to_like]